- Don’t try to eat to be full. Just eat slowly until you are not hungry anymore. A subtle difference here.
- Try to minimize distractions while eating, like watching TV, reading, or talking. Meals are more satisfying if you concentrate on and enjoy each bite. Distractions keep you from realizing how much you have eaten and result in over-eating.
- Get smaller plates or bowls - the food looks more voluminous that way. Perception is far more important in how full you will feel.
- Use chopsticks. Spoons and forks allow you to shovel it in too fast.
- Always eat at least 3 hours before sleeping.
- Drink lots of water before you eat.
- Eat three or four small meals instead of one or two big meals.
- Snack on fruits, raisins and other natural foods rather than candy, cookies, or donuts.
- Restaurants typically provide enough on one plate for two people. Next time you go out, try sharing a meal along with an extra salad or soup.
- Try cooking more often and avoid prepared foods.
Related articles: Dieting with a goal to lose weight in six weeks and keeping it offWeight loss diets
Control your weight during holidays
Will power for weight loss
Myths about diets
Dieting without a diet
Yo yo dieting
Oprah's weight loss