Since we talked about trimming hair in private parts, we have received dozens of questions. Shaving is the favorite system used by American women to eliminate unwanted hair. If you do not do it the right way the hair grows back faster, and in the worst case, you may get ingrown hair or infections. This is especially important in the bikini area. (Related article: Brazilian bikini wax)
Here are some tips to get it right:
- Do it during or right after a warm shower so the pores are larger. Remember the barbers use warm towels for that reason.
- Use something to make it smoother, such as special shaving foam or gel or just your soap.
- Use a high quality razor that is in good shape. It does not have to be the most expensive, but it has to be in perfect condition. A pivoting razor (the ones with a moveable head) and smaller sizes are better for these areas.
- Before starting, comb the hair with your hand and see how the hair grows. Apply the gel or foam following the hair growth lines. The hair may grow in different directions in these parts of your body. Do your best to follow the growth line for the majority of the hair. Let the gel or soap stay for a few seconds to make it easier.
- Warm the razor with hot/warm water.
- Follow the hair growth line when using the razor. If you do not do it, you may get ingrown hairs. They look like bumps and they can be painful. Many women like to shave doing the exact opposite. If it works for you that is fine, but it is not the best method for women with sensitive skin. Also if you get frequent ingrown hair, follow our advice.
- Try to avoid passing the razor many times over the same area, because it irritates the skin. Listen to your body. If it feels like burning your skin, then the skin is getting irritated. It is better to stop shaving on those burning areas.
- After shaving, wash the soap off with colder water. You do not have to freeze, but the water has to be colder than the one you used in the beginning of your shower.
- Preferably, you should apply a cream without fragrance or color after shaving. Let it dry before getting dressed.